13.9.15

Kevin DeYoung

Spending my time refuting the dragon Gagnon, I tend to miss the younger serpents that slip through the cracks. Though DeYoung (a younger and prettier version of Gagnon) has been around for a while, for some reason it's only now he's gotten my attention.

Listening to DeYoung speak in a video really surprised me with what were elementary arguments (Sodom was destroyed because of homosexuality, etc.) I didn't see in anyway challenging (I later refute his attempt to refute Boswell in my "Late Nite Tapas" thread).

Like Brown's 9 questions, DeYoung goes the umpteenth mile with coming up with 40 to those who would affirm homosexuality with the Bible. Apparently, this was a clarion call to tons of bloggers who decided to take up his 40 question challenge and now he has shut up because of the countless responses that rained down on his head like rocks he never expected.

This is a response in a comment forum of yet another blogger who answered the challenge, worth repeating, about what DeYoung tried to accomplish with his 40 questions:


"I think Kevin DeYoung is quickly going to get tired of seeing all of these "40 Answers" blogs - for one simple reason: when he posed his asinine list of questions, he thought he was asking tough questions we wouldn't be able to answer in some sort of "Ha, GOTCHA!" fashion that has become the favorite weapon in the heterosexist arsenal of late. 

It's a pretty impotent weapon. Unfortunately, I think when he asked these questions, he wasn't really interested in getting answers (I say this about Charisma magazine with Brown's 9 Questions on this, my own blog). So on HIM, this is casting pearls before swine. However, I'm glad you're saying these things because others who follow his line of bilge might see posts like this one and begin to open their minds and hearts a bit."





DeYoung said; "If this volume makes no contribution beyond explaining why God opposes the homosexual lifestyle, a worthwhile goal will have been accomplished.” (DeYoung 2000). 

This is what he wants his great contribution to be? Telling gays God isn't happy with their lives? I thought it would be, I don't know, bringing the message of salvation to the homosexual?





If anyone wants to bring any of DeYoung's arguments, please be my guest. I doubt that will happen though as I've refuted what he's had to say came from better apologists.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the shoutout and for being a voice of reason and advocacy in the Christian community. There's an open invite for you any time you want to join us either on the Podcast or in some other way at Cinnamon Waffles Bible Study. Send me an email at cwbiblestudypodcast at gmail.com if you are interested.


copyright

copyright